Get back-to-school ready with Rowe Farms!
Another school year is upon us and if you’re a parent, you’re probably feeling one of two ways: sad to say goodbye to summer or thrilled to get back to your usual family routine. And hey, it’s okay if you’re feeling both of these emotions at once! We bet this is true for a lot of families.
September is a busy month for parents and kids, especially as you settle into a new school year and extracurriculars. But you’ve gotta eat, and you deserve to eat well. Here are some quick and easy meal ideas for breakfast, school lunches and weeknight meals. Have a great school year, everyone!
Weekend brunches at your house may involve breaking out the waffle iron or making perfect stacks of pancakes for your kids, but we all know how busy a weekday morning can be. Here are a few make-ahead recipes that deliver great taste and nutrition without too much effort in the morning.
- Cheesy egg cups made with our delicious bacon and farm fresh organic eggs (make these ahead of time in a large batch, then warm up in the morning as needed)
- Freezable make-ahead breakfast burritos with our pork breakfast sausage
- Spinach bacon quiche (this works for breakfast, lunch or dinner!)
You can also make a quick scrambled egg on toast or use an egg cooker to make perfect eggs with minimal effort. And hey, if you end up throwing a bowl of cereal at your kids because there simply isn’t enough time to make a hot meal, we don’t judge. Life is all about balance.
Packing school lunches for your children can take a lot of effort, and you have to do it every single day. Don’t worry—we’ve got ideas to help you out. Here are some easy lunch options that taste great and travel well. They work for adults, too!
- A classic sandwich with our high quality local deli meats, plus snacks on the side
- A hard-boiled egg, veggies and hummus, an apple and a granola bar
- A peameal bacon sandwich on a bun (they’re good hot or cold!) with sliced fruit
- Leftover chicken in a wrap or on a Caesar salad
- A few pork pepperettes with cubed cheese, carrot and celery sticks, crackers and fresh fruit
- Leftovers! If you have the right containers, you can send anything from soup to lasagna, pasta, casseroles and more.
Weeknights dinners have a few simple requirements: they’ve got to be delicious, fast, and relatively easy to prepare. Here are some ideas to help get you through September.
- Our delicious prepared meals—they’re the ultimate in convenience and are always a hit! Please check your local Rowe Farms location to see what’s available.
- A rotisserie chicken with some easy sides (a salad, raw veggies and dip, steamed vegetables, rice or buttered noodles with peas)
- Portobello Mushroom Steak Burgers with a simple green salad on the side
- Seasoned chicken breasts in the slow cooker with rice and veggies on the side
- Our marinated flattened poultry (available in store) with chopped root vegetables roasted on the same sheet pan
- Spaghetti and meatballs or meatballs with mushroom gravy over rice
- These sweet and spicy lettuce wraps made with ground pork
- Slow cooker Sloppy Joes with salad or steamed vegetables
- Smoked sausages (available in store) with brown beans—a true five minute meal!
- Beef short ribs on the grill (they’re ready in minutes—grill some vegetables to go on the side and you’ll be all set!)
- A quick stir fry made with your favourite protein, bell peppers, onions and snow peas (serve over rice or noodles)
If you have time to make meat sauce on the weekend, this can be used to make spaghetti in minutes or tossed with penne for a hearty but quick meal. You can also prep casseroles, soups, stews, lasagna and more. Or just heat up a pizza! Your family will love it, so treat yourself (and them) to a great slice.If you have additional ideas, please share them in the comments on Facebook! We’d be glad to hear from you. Thanks for shopping local and supporting regenerative food. We hope you have a fantastic start to the school year.